The Greatest Literary Works

literary works documentation. essay on literature. student paper. etc

Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson

Written by eastern writer on Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hardcover, 368 pages
Expected publication: June 14th 2011 by HarperCollins
Before I Go to Sleep is the debut novel by S J Watson, due to be published in 36 countries.


What if I wake up tomorrow and don't know who I am?
What if I have no idea who I can trust?
What is the truth?
Who is telling me the truth?
Who am I?
Who was I yesterday?
What will happen tomorrow?

These kinds of questions are often what life is really about. But what would it be like to wake up in a room you do not recognize, not to know the person in bed with you, not knowing what day today is, how old you are and what your name is? How would you know who to trust, other than the person who is there everyday telling you?

Christine goes to sleep every night knowing that tomorrow her life will begin all over again. Her husband Ben tells her gently each morning that she has had a traumatic head injury and suffers from amnesia. No one has suggested to her to keep a daily journal until Dr. Nash enters the picture. He even calls her daily to remind her where she is hiding her journal and that she should read it.

With this journal and the help of Dr. Nash, Christine begins to understand her past and her present. Nothing is as it seems to be. And I can say no more of this story, you must read it for yourself.

This novel is so well written that you don't even think about the writing. This leaves one to be totally immersed in the story. I am not a fast reader and it often takes me a week or so to read a book. With this book, I would start reading and realize an hour had passed and I was totally unaware of anything other than the story. It took over my life, I didn't fall asleep reading it like I usually do with novels. I lay awake at night wondering how Christine could even go to sleep at night. I tried to remember a time when I woke up and didn't know where I was.

This may seem strange but all through reading the book I thought S.J. Watson was a woman. I think this is partially because I read an entry of his blog where he used an analogy of raising a child and sending it out into the world to compare to having his book published. Now I am thinking he should feel complemented that I thought he was a woman until I happened to read the blurb on the cover that refers to "him". He totally convinced me that Christine was a realistic character. Basically this book is gender neutral. It should be enjoyed by everyone who likes an exciting absorbing story.

--------
visit the official book website at http://www.sjwatson-books.com, the author blog http://www.sj-watson.blogspot.com/

Related Posts by Categories



  1. 1 komentar: Responses to “ Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson ”

  2. By Canada on December 1, 2011 at 10:09 PM

    I was excited about the concept of this book, and at first had trouble putting it down. But, the characters were predictable as was the outcome so I was slightly let down about halfway through the book. Having had trouble with amnesia myself, maybe I just wanted some answers that made sense, but the many inconsistencies throughout this book made it less believable. A person with this degree of disability would not be left alone as much as Christine, but try it for yourself...you might not be able to sleep tonight or any other night!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will reply your comment as soon as possible. I wonder if you would keep contact with this blog.

Quote on Art and Literature

    "There is only one school of literature - that of talent."
~ Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)



Want to subscribe?

Subscribe in a reader Or, subscribe via email:
Enter your email here:

Top Blogs Top Arts blogs

Google